Thursday, March 06, 2008

My Son... My Teacher...

It takes a small child to make us see sense sometimes. My 7-year old Son loves school and on the days that I collect him, I always greet him with, "Hi Suraj, how are you?"

And nine times out of ten he answers, "Hi Papa, I'm brilliant!"
It is next to impossible from smiling at such an open exhibition of enthusiasm. His positivity is infectious!

Yet, like most adults, it took a while to dawn on me that I could learn something from a little child.

I was thinking about him when I met an office colleague this morning.

"Hello, Ramjee," she said as we automatically shook hands, "how are you?"

It was on the tip of my tongue to say "I'm fine", or, "not too bad" as I would normally respond. But instead, Suraj's smiling face popped into my mind and I came back with, "I'm brilliant, thank you. How are you?"

A flicker of confusion crossed her face as my unexpected response sank in. Then a big smile spread across this rather dour colleague's face and she said, "You know, I'm feeling pretty brilliant too!"

We had a great day working.

My son Suraj's natural enthusiasm taught me a big lesson: that we go through life saying and hearing conditioned responses that really mean absolutely nothing. It is only when we break out of the expected that real communication occurs.

What do 'fine', 'okay', 'not too bad', 'all right', 'pretty good' and all the other non-responses really mean? Absolutely nothing. They mean nothing because the question that they answer usually means less than nothing.

'How are you', 'how're you doing', 'how's the family' are meaningless punctuation. Most often the person asking is not even looking at you - and rarely are they listening to your equally meaningless answer.

Yet, by hijacking that automatic question and giving a completely unexpected - and exciting answer - we can take control of a conversation. And more, force the other person to think positively of us.

I could have said 'marvellous' or 'first-class' or 'absolutely splendid' or any number of positive, energizing statements. But I liked Suraj's choice.

It is certainly true that you never get a second chance to make a first impression. Let your first impression in any meeting, be brilliant!

The edited version of this article has appeared in Hindu Metroplus. You could look that up by clicking on the following link!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramjee
I agree with you completely, children are truly our best coaches. They have an innocence and simplicity which we have all forgotten as we have put on layers of meaniglessness and mistrust.
Do visit www.bullzi-inc.com, and look up an article'Learning has no age'. Think you will vibe with it.
Incidentally, I came after seeing your post in the Trainer's Forum and yes, I also chased the Oliver Ridley as well, 25 years ago, in Bhitar Kanika, Orissa.

Ramjee said...

Thank you Sanjeev! Am happy you appreciated the sharing! Your blog bullzi indeed has some interesting posts. Shall look it up and share. TFS!